Ngora Freda Carr Hospital was started in 1922 as a result of work of the Church Missionary Society-England Missionaries. The Hospital is making a century marked with glory days of excellent health care and devastation through many stages of dilapidation both in service delivery, equipment and infrastructure. The mission of this Not-for-Profit Hospital is: “To provide basic and affordable quality health care services to the poor population and proclamation of the Word of God.”
The hospital is run as part of the Church of Uganda, Kumi Diocese and was founded in 1922 as a small medical mission with a donation from a Mr Ernest Carr in memory of his daughter Freda who had died in East Africa. It is a 180-bed hospital with outpatient (OPD) and inpatient services, as well as general maternity services. The glory of Ngora Freda Carr Hospital was during the 1980s when the Surgeons’ Association, and Flying Doctors’ service, used to operate from the hospital which had its own airstrip
Over recent years Ngora Freda Carr Hospital has been moving towards regaining its former glory and in the last five years it has made tremendous strides in service delivery through attraction and retention of talent despite being in a rural setting. Constant albeit slow improvement of infrastructure and equipment. The hospital 5 years ago was recieving an average of 5 patients per day and today it ranges from 20 to 60 patients per day and constantly rising.
A great deal of work (surmountable) is yet to be accomplished and this celebration will be a great highlight to the task ahead of all of as well-wishers, friends and all stakeholders of Ngora Freda Carr and Ngora at large.